We at Society+ are starting up our Woman Crush Wednesdays (WCW) again, to spotlight the amazing women around the world inspiring us, and empowering women to change the world. We are a brand built on the change that we have seen in the Body Love Revolution, and that would not be possible if it weren't for strong, confident women leaders, motivators, and influencers who continue to show us that anything is possible, no matter your dream.
This week's WCW is the incredible Sonia Sotomayor. She is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, and has been since she was nominated by President Obama in August of 2009. Being Puerto Rican, she is notably the first Latina and the third female justice, and is among the youngest justices currently on the Supreme Court.
5 Sonia Sotomayor Quotes That Will Make You Love Her:
1. "Until we get equality in education, we won't have an equal society."
2. "I had no need to apologize that the look-wider, search-more affirmative action that Princeton and Yale practiced had opened doors for me. That was its purpose: to create the conditions whereby students from disadvantaged backgrounds could be brought to the starting line of a race many were unaware was even being run."
3. "I do know one thing about me: I don't measure myself by others' expectations or let others define my worth."
4. "I am a New Yorker, and 7:00 A.M. is a civilized hour to finish the day, not to start it."
5. "I strive never to forget the real world consequences of my decisions on individuals, businesses and government."
MORE ABOUT SONIA SOTOMAYOR
Sonia had a rough start in life, begining in a public housing project in the Bronx, New York. She was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes at the age of 8, and lost her father the following year. Her mother was left to raise her and her brother Juan, who instilled in them the power of education. Due to this and a strong sense of work ethic, Sonia excelled in school, all the way through her Undergraduate at Princeton, and Yale Law School.
Since graduating in 1979 she has held the positions of Assistant Distric Attorney, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, U.S. Court, and now Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
She not only has an incredible story, but is regarded as a wonderful person to those around her. She would take it upon herself to know everyone from the doormen, and the cafeteria workers, to all the other judges. She believes that everyone has value and worth, as well as a story. She is an advocate for Latina women, fighting race, gender and ethnic identity issues, and calls for reform of the criminal justice system.
Read more about her inspiring journey in her memoir, My Beloved World.
Also, don't forget to head over to our instagram to enter for your chance to win a $50 gift card for both you and your #WCW! Each week we will be sharing ours, and all you have to do is tag yours and you're entered!